Thursday, September 04, 2008

In Company w/Doves

I am to Eastern Michigan's football team what peace activists in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti are to America if you read some of my posts here. We love the school, but feel obligated to speak the truth about things.

Since EMU plays Michigan State this weekend, I think it's pretty obvious to me and everyone else the outcome. What isn't is whether or not I'm a true Green and White supporter. I'm certainly not a die-hard fan of EMU football, but I wouldn't say I'm for them losing all the time.

Face it, EMU cannot be a competitive program year in and year out. With Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame constantly fishing this large and rich pool of athletic talent, Mid American Conference schools are left with whatever the national programs threw back. EMU has yet to put together a football program in all the time I've been there and since left that can draw large sell out crowds at Rynearson Stadium. They don't have the money, the recruiters, nor the lore of a school like Michigan or Notre Dame.

Even John at SpartyMSU is predicting a blowout victory for the Spartans. He admits on his blog what I've been saying over at EMU Talk. This game is basically a tune-up against EMU.

Because, in the end, it's all about money. Money for EMU, and investing in your freshmen and sophomore talent for MSU to cash in next year.

No comments: