Wednesday, August 11, 2010

We Aren't the Saudis; So Build the Mosque

Newt Gingrich is on a tirade. Rick Lazio is running for Governor of New York and he's demagoguing. Rush Limbaugh is out of his mind.

I concede there are plenty of arguments against building a mosque near Ground Zero. Most are emotional, one is political. It's a slap in the face to the 3,000 who died on September 11, 2001. They don't allow churches and synagogues in Mecca. Of all places, it has to be so close to where the World Trade Centers once stood. Most politically that I see: it would be a PR coup for Muslim fundamentalists bent on seeing America destroyed to build a mosque right there.

If I could for a minute: stop. Please stop. Just let it be. It's the American way.

I admit first and foremost that if you accused me of bigotry toward Islam, I'm probably guilty. I have no use for it. To be fair, I have no use for Christianity, either. In fact, I'm pro-Jew, even though I'm not Jewish nor will I ever convert. I know next to nothing about Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, or even Zoroastrianism to make any commentary on, so I leave them alone.


Above all else, what Newt Gingrich fails to realize (or knows deep down and won't concede for political posturing), is that this is why we're different. We are better. We're better because we can have mosques. And churches, synagogues, temples, and whatever they pray in inside the other religions. The First Amendment protects that right.

I know the people protesting the mosque are aware of this, and that all they want is for it to be moved farther away from Ground Zero. But the fact is, it's got to go somewhere. There's about 600,000 Muslims that live in New York City. They have as much a right to use public spaces as do any other practitioners of faith.

For Rick Lazio, who's running to be the next governor, this is will only get you so far.
What exactly do you expect NY Attorney General Andrew Cuomo to uncover? We know the Imam leading the movement denies Hamas is a terrorist organization. We know he is linked to the flotilla sending humanitarian aid into Gaza.

So how far do you think you'll get after corralling the Jewish vote? Maybe the GOP nomination. You may even win the election once more people start paying attention. But you're going to face problems in your state that go far beyond somebody putting up a mosque.

Like stopping those terror babies.

No comments: