Saturday, July 27, 2013

I Guess I Didn't Want To Be a Millionaire After All

Friday morning I planned to audition for the gameshow Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? after coming across an article in the Detroit Free Press about two weeks ago.  I had always given it a passing thought; I've done pretty well when I watched the show when it was on ABC.

My aim wasn't to win $1 million, but to win about $125,000 - $250,000, enough to cover student loans + taxes and anything left over would be set aside for an IRA or 401k.  Had I won any more, that would have fast tracked me to earning a JD or PhD.  But I was being realistic.  $125,000 would have been plenty.

I forgot about it for about a week until I was reminded of it again on Monday.  It was only then that I began to serious contemplate auditioning for the show.  The night before I glanced the website over one more time and read the entire rules.  A snag was found.

The snag was that I would have to pay my way to New York City if I was cast as a contestant.  Everything before that: taking a quiz, interviewing, and just showing up were all things I could do.  Hell, the audition site was a 10-minute drive from where I lived which made it all the more tempting.

That morning I drove down to Walsh College in Novi.  I saw a guy waiting outside the doors who was with the show.  As I walked up, he said I just missed the cutoff and I'd have to wait there for 45 minutes.  It only took me a second to realize this wasn't for me.  

It wasn't for me because I don't want to be on TV.  I just don't care to be recognized.  Plus, I also had to realize that even if I got every answer right on the quiz I took, I could still be turned away in a couple of weeks.  Yet if I do get accepted, I'd have to drop $1,000 just to be on the show because I'd have to book a flight, get time off of work, and put myself up in a hotel.  God knows how expensive even a rundown hotel in New York goes for.  

I guess I'll stick to playing the MegaMillions.  Oh wait, I don't play that, either.

No comments: