Saturday, September 28, 2013

Bears at Lions

What kind of team is Detroit?  Are they closer to the 10-6 team from 2011 or to the 4-12 disaster that was last season?  For whatever reason, I still can't get a read on this team unlike previous seasons (okay, 2012, I predicted they'd finish 10-6...shows what I know).

Tomorrow the Chicago Bears come to Ford Field and its considered to be a crucial game for both teams.  If Detroit wins, we move into first place in the NFC North.  If Chicago wins, they're 4-0 and begin to look like they're supplanting Green Bay as the class of the division.

The writers for both Detroit Free Press and News are unanimously picking Detroit to win, including Drew Sharp, although I did see Terry Foster predict a Bears victory due to Lions' history of falling short the week after a big victory.  Last week, Washington was the favorite over Detroit, and the Lions still pulled one out.  Goes to show you the value of our writers predicting the team's success.

What worries me most about the Lions this year is that I get the feeling they're a lot like the 1999 and 2000 teams.  In those two years, the Lions were well in the thick of the playoff chase, reaching as high as an 8-4 record before fading away, finishing 8-8 and 9-7 respectively (ironically, they backed into the playoffs at 8-8 and missed them at 9-7 the next year).  You couldn't exactly tell what the team was, just like this year's, and won't really know until late December.

I'm hoping history doesn't repeat itself and we end up collapsing the following year like we did in 2001.

A lot of people have been talking about recreating the magic that was the Monday Night game two years ago when Chicago came to town and Ford Field was rocking.  That was zenith of Lions' football in the last 15 years, and it goes to show how bad our team has really been when our most memorable game is a midseason Monday night win, but no playoff victories.  (How many wins has New England/Indianapolis/Green Bay had in the same game?)

Even though Detroit has lost Jason Jones for the year and Nate Burleson for an indefinite amount of time, the Bears have lost stud defensive tackle Henry Melton.  One player shouldn't make that big of a difference, but if Charles Tillman is hurting more than he's letting on, Calvin Johnson should be in for a big day. 

My head says until Chicago shows me otherwise, it's Da Bears, 27-21.  I will gladly take any criticism that comes my way if the Lions win.  I hope I'm wrong.




No comments: